Saturday, December 1, 2012

A glimpse of Heli




Her name is Helene, but on the day she was born, September 11, 1930 her mother flushed with the birth of her first child began to call her Heli.
That is the first paragraph of the most interesting auction item I have ever purchased. The description of the item on the Auction website was “Up for auction is an interesting crafting notebook from the 1930's. It features different swatches of cloth and clothing designs. Included are some sewing cards and old postcards. Everything appears to be written in German.”

The photos were scarce and only a few of the items were pictured. So to bid on it was rather risky. But my gut told me that anything to do with sewing and a diary of sorts would be interesting no matter how small the information was, nor how hard it would be to translate it from German into English. So bid I did and won it for $17.00. I noted that the item was coming from the Iowa/Nebraska area. Knowing that many Germans immigrated to that area it made me curious when the diary/notebook had actually got to the US. These questions were just the beginning of a mystery that I am deep into now. Not only me but several of my friends. . .and now you if you continue to read.


When the book arrived I immediately determined that there were two languages to contend with. German, yes, but also something that looked to be Czech or Polish. The notebook which I will call a Diary was obviously in German. But the postcards and other ephemera were in the Czech/Polish. I began by scanning the Diary into jpegs that I could share with my many friends in Germany to enlist their help to translate. Oliver, in particular loves old books and old languages. I sent him the first page thinking he would not be interested in a woman’s sewing diary. Oh I was so wrong.

Oliver (part of my band of Krazy Krauts, they know I mean that effectionately) quickly told me the first page was written by the mother of Helene. Here is his translation.

Established/started (the diary) on 25. of June 1932
Sunday the 11th of September 1930 between 3:45 and 4 in the afternoon, our daughter Helene was born. After she had a bath (was cleaned up) I looked at the small, chubby-cheeked and red-cheeked child which was put into bed beside me. She weighed 3,75kg (8,27lb).
On the 23th of September at 7:30 in the morning, we’ll get her baptized.
The grandparents Neutzner, Franziska and Johann stood godparents. Heli got a nice “Taufbüchlein” (“baptism booklet” indicating that they were protestant, I think) with a pink ribbon, containing a 5 Kr (Czechoslovak koruna) piece with the year and birth-year 1930, as well as 300 Kr which we put on her savings account (unsure... maybe they just put the money in the abovementioned booklet). She was very good and quiet during the whole baptism ceremony. After a small breakfast, we dispersed (sounds better in German! maybe “we went separate ways”) only to all get back together in the evening for a “Taufschmaus” (baptism dinner).




Data from the first page: It begins on June 25, 1932. The mother is writing it in fountain pen. Helene (Heli) born on 9/11/30, christened 9/23/30. Godparents are also Grandparents Johann & Franzeska Neutzner.

Join me as I discover more about this little girl named Heli and help me. . .
Turn the page.

No comments: