Monday, January 31, 2011

My favorite toy

Each age of childhood has it's favorite toy. I'm not talking about the most popular, but rather to each child there is a favorite toy.

7 year old Mary loved Sixfinger. The secret agent craze (cold war) was in full swing in 1965 and microfilm was just beginning to find it's way into the everyday conversations. Miniature cameras, codes, hidden phones in SHOES of all places.
I had to share my Sixfinger with my 5 year old brother, who promptly lost parts of it. Sigh




10 year old Mary didn't have a specific favorite toy and not even a manufactured toy, but rather the dress ups were the favorite. Go figure. . huh? Who would want to dress up a doll when you could dress yourself up. And ohhhhh, when we moved into the house that had a playhouse in the backyard!!! I was in 7th heaven. . .till the now 8 year old little brother decided to make the playhouse into a gulag and fight off the enemy (me).


14. . .awww 14. . .No toys. . .a transistor radio! and listening to KYES Roseburg Oregon. And Saturday afternoon at 2pm was the All request show! You had to fill out your request slip and put it into the box at the Red Wing shoe store in town by Friday morning to get your request in.





At 16 you would think toys were done with, but nooooo. Much like today when teenagers like to revert back to childhood and carry around Hello Kitty stuff. . .I carried around Holly Hobbie. . .yes. . .Holly hobbie when she first came out, 1974. And I bought a 8 inch doll. I still have her somewhere. . .what does that say about me?

As an adult I think my favorite toy would be my Ipod and has been for 6-7 years now. But of course Jerry wouldn't call it a toy, he calls it a nuisance. Yet recently a new toy has entered my life, thanks to my German friends, Birgit & Reimer.


We saw this in Tolz Germany on our trip last year and became entranced by it. Looks simple doesn't it. Take a marble and drop it on the top "branch" of this rainbow tree and it tumbles down making a wonderful Marimba (wood zylophone) sound.


What was your favorite toy?

1 comment:

jaci said...

I think we may have had the same transistor radio at some point in time. Late at night we could tune it in to Wolfman Jack in far away Los Angeles.