Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lunatic

Several years ago I created a mask. I must say it was and is one of my favorites. It has gone to Scotland and back. Many people in europe say it looks like it belongs in Venice at a Carnivale.

The plain plastic mask was not a good surface to glue non-porous items (sequins/beads) so I covered it in muslin first with modge podge glue. then started the arduous task of gluing every sequin on individually.
The design lead me to Luna..So everything was based on Moon and Moonbeams and tidal action.
I hand beaded the fringe on a loom then took it to the mask.

The Crown or headpiece was made of a foam base. I wanted it to work seperately so you could wear the mask or the crown and both could convey the Luna idea. Thus the moon phases appear on the crown.

Since creating it I have made 3 gowns to go with it. The first one was totally a dash job. I hated it the moment it was finished.
the second was good and it was what went with me to Scotland.
But this past weekend I made a 3rd gown. It is a "duster" of sorts that goes over a simple white cotton gauze princess line dress. So far I like it. Just have to figure out how to do sleeves that will not get in the way.
Angel sleeves will be too long. I want to make something dramtic in the chest area like a necklace cascade, but that is still locked in my brain somewhere. The clasp for the top dress? is already in place, it is a large round mirror with all kinds of simple chains dangling from it, like moonbeams

I want to wear this at the Fairy Festival in Eugene on 8/2. I know I can get it done by then. . .just don't know if I will wear it. yet.

No comments: