Monday, July 7, 2008

Pirate treasures in fabric

In the past few months I have had to wear my Nana hat/apron a lot. There are 6 of them at the moment. Those Cherubic faces that come with busy hands, wailing voices and endless energy called grandchildren. 4 of them are still infants all under one year old. . .till two weeks from now.
But there are 2 that demand conversation. Korban is 2 1/2 and Kentucky is 4 1/2.
There are plenty of reasons for me to sew conventional clothing. . .but nooooooo I can't do that. I really am turned off by making something that is "normal". It is lucky that there are plenty of reasons for me to make clothing and design it for the "abnormal". . .or what I call the "creative"side of me and people in general.
Kentucky & Korban love pirates. And lucky for me. . .they love playing dress up.. Boys who play dress up. Often I see Kentucky take his store bought HULK costume and pair it with his mother's first communion veil and finish it with a pair of red plastic high heels. Now that makes a statement, wouldn't you say?
During this summer there are several Pirate/Renaissance Faire events they will be attending. I will be there with them. But we need to dress them appropriately. So here is Kentucky in his first CUSTOM made pirate garb. His vest is still in the works. Kentucky took an active part in designing it and helped iron the seams and he loves to stand still while we do the fittings. It is the only time you get this 4 1/2 year old to stand still.




Korban's is also in the works. Pictures to be published this weekend. Until then he is my chef

No comments: