Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phase 3 adding foilage

Phase one is building the platforms. In my previous blog I showed the hill I created with Sculptamold. Unfortunately I did not make the level areas VERY level so my houses will be on the slant. That works find for the halloween village. but when I build the Winter scene I will have to make a concerted effort to make everything level.


So 4 platforms are finished with the Phase 1. As well as the hill and the Grotto. I have made more mistakes trying to build the grotto. Note to self: watch out how heavy these pieces get. I had to build the grotto with a box core so I could drill holes in the "ceiling" and be able to add the rice lights (battery powered) and store all the wiring and battery inside. Now the Grotto is very heavy compared to the hill.



Phase 2 is the painting. I have already shown platform one in it's painted phase. Platform two and Hill are also painted now.

Phase 3 is adding foilage & Paths. This has been a much more rewarding stage. The foilage comes in packages of colors or green. All of it is made out of sponges. Yes the creatures that grow in the ocean. Some of them are really weird to handle. I rip them apart to create smaller bushes. As I rip them I keep thinking about pulling apart an animal. ewwww. Gotta keep that vision out of my mind.






Here I have put a line of shrubs along the fense line. As well as made some of the GREEN trees that comes with the kit. They are OK for this side of the scene but they are very green. I am going to keep them for the Easter village next year.

I chopped up some of the vines from my grapes in the backyard. The vines are drying out now and have some very unique shapes. I combined them to make a gate for the fence. I am rather proud of how it turned out. Wait till you see the graveyard fence I made with them. I REALLY like it. . .I will have it completed for the next blog entry.


Here we have a view of the path. This gravel is reddish here but slowly turns to black as it gets closer to the graveyard. The gravel is sprinkled onto glue, let dry. Then go back and with an eyedropper put watered down glue on top. It flows into the cracks and creates a sealant that keeps the gravel from coming loose as you move the platform or structures.


My hill and the tilting houses.



Yup, I think I am really enjoying this miniature work. I know that some people will not understand the grotto and the graveyard part. Yet it is very much a part of my whole creative side. I often wonder if I had grown up in the 1990's instead of the 1960's I think I would have totally been a Goth girl.

1 comment:

jaci said...

This is so cool! I will have to remember it for when I have room again!