Friday, March 11, 2011

It's a family affair

The Letter K

Kith & Kin

Due to my love of historical trivia this phrase, for it is not just one word, I find to be a fun and quirky saying I like to use.

Kin is an old word for family. Though old (1377) it is still used today.
Kith comes from the same period in time but has been lost along the way. It means to know the area or land.

This begs a moment of reflection.
The phrase “I know his Kith & Kin” really is a strong and personal statement. “I know his family and the area of which he comes from”, shows a personal connection. Not just “I know him”, but people that are connected to him and the area he grew up in or lives in. You understand his way of life and the influences that molded his personality.

This simple and old phrase says so much. It is eloquent and powerful.

1 comment:

aneri_masi said...

Interesting! I never really tried to find out what Kith meant, Kin, I knew. Indeed a powerful phrase that says a lot!